January 17, 2012

HOW TO make a LOVE Easel Card - fancy shmancy!!

Valentine's LOVE card
...And Valentine's Day is just around the corner!
This is the card I made for my husband and I followed the design I learned from Cathie Allen.
LOTS of Pictures Alert!
Valentine's LOVE card
I loved making this card.  

TIP #1 -  start with EXCLELLENT CARD STOCK - At Scrapfest Oshawa 2011 I discovered, thanks to Cathie Allen, this SUPER CARDSTOCK - it's white, strong and beautiful! 

I only used white cardstock - no patterned paper.

I started with a 12x12 sheet of white card stock and for the front of the card cut it to 6X6.
For the BACK of the card ( which will form the base of your easel) I cut longer because you have to allow at least one extra inch where your acetate piece will be attached.
So my base measures 6x7"
I chose a beautiful butterfly pattern acetate and this needs to be 6x6.

I covered all surfaces of the cardstock with inks, some chalk, some metallic paper and various patterned stamps.

- Select your sentiment - keep it short because you REALLY don't want to have to be cutting out little nambly pambly letters, and LOTS of them.
i.e - JOY, LOVE, ME & U (YOU) -- 
-Select your chipboard letters  - I didn't make my letters from scratch because there is already enough cutting, pasting, assembling, etc to do! :)

You will trace your letters onto the cardstock. Remember that if you choose to mark your paper with pencil on the reverse side, place your letters BACKWARDS! -- you're welcome :)

Whatever shape of frame you choose, remember this important instruction: All the letters have to be attached to each other AND attached to the outer frame.  
You can see that I added 'tabs' to certain letters ( like the 'E') because I couldn't attach it directly to the frame.


Valentine's LOVE card
View from behind so you can see the acetate sheet which forms the easel.
Very carefully cut out your letters.


Valentine's LOVE card
As you can see I traced my letters backwards onto the back so I don't worry about erasing all the pencil marks.
Valentine's LOVE card



Valentine's LOVE card
Valentine's LOVE card
Stamp, ink, chalk all surfaces (before you cut) --- I just find it easier.
I used a pink and gray polka-dot pattern for the chipboard letters. Using gold embossing powder I covered most, but not all of the surface of the letters.

Valentine's LOVE card
Back of the card. I adhered the ribbon to the back and will cover  it with a left over  piece of stamped card stock (i.e  1" x  6" strip)
Valentine's LOVE card
I 'ran' the ribbon through my ink to dye it pink 


Valentine's LOVE card
I started with cream ribbon and thought the pink would look better.


Valentine's LOVE card
Affix the embossed letters to the front of your card.


Valentine's LOVE card
To attach the front, base, and acetate:  Fold  the base and crease so you have a 1" fold over. The acetate is glued to the  top of the base card  where it meets the crease. The 1" allowance will cover where you have glued the acetate.
Glue the bottom of the acetate piece to the BOTTOM of the back of the front of the card.
Valentine's LOVE card

Cut whatever size of card stock for the inside sentiment and use thick pop dots to attach so you have a raised platform which will act as the 'stopper' for your easel.


Valentine's LOVE card

Valentine's LOVE card


I added a key embellishment to the front as a closure.  You may just tie yours off in a bow - personal preferences, you know?! :) I attached it with a brad I embossed with the same gold powder.
Embellish to your hearts content!


Valentine's LOVE card
Present your card tied, and make a custom envelope or box to enclose it.

This card is also participating in the FaveCrafts "Love is in the Air" Blog Hop for January.  
Check out all the excellent entries for this month for inspiration -- If you would like to vote for my card and click 'LIKE" - please do! If not, I will still be your friend :) 

Thanks for stopping by, 
~Robi

Decorables

1 comment:

It's nice to get feedback.

Popular Posts

Hand painted Vase 12" - Click to see more...

Hand painted Vase 12" - Click to see more...
Fine lines and beautiful medley of greens, blues and yellows.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...