September 18, 2010

A special day in my Daughter's Life - Turning 18

For Deborah

Deborah \d(e)-bo-rah\ is pronounced DEB-er-ah.
It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Deborah is "bee".  Biblical: a prophetess who summoned Barak to battle against an invading army. The victory song she wrote after the battle is part of the Book of Judges.

 

On September 24, 1992, my late-husband and I were blessed with a beautiful and healthy baby girl.  After having two wonderful and precious boys, we were given Deborah (named after her daddy’s grandma). 

Her health was uncertain as she grew inside me.  Her father was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma when I was 3 months pregnant and the concern that somehow she may have picked up some cells or whatever, lingered over us as my husband did his rounds of chemo.  We worried so much for her and then in my 8th month, just as her father finished his chemo, the doctors suspected a mass was growing in her abdomen. Oh my god.
Thank God, it was not so and she was healthy.  We were beyond grateful and her father adored her and spent as much time as he could with her.  She brought so much light into our lives and continues to shine. I know her daddy would be very proud of the woman she has become and the fine human being she has always been.

This was fun to make!
I started with a piece of corrugated cardboard I salvaged from packing materials. I ran it through my Cuttlebug using on of the "iron works" edge embossers.  Next I inked the board with pink,blue (Autumn Leaves) and orange #20 Aladine inks. For the grande finale, I added 2 pretty little pearl brads (American Crafts)



I am making her a card a day for the week leading up to her 18th birthday.  This is the first one.

Papers used: Romanza pale green embossed paper for front and back of card; floral and fruit pattern from Melinda May for Frances Meyer; crystal sparkle patterned pink velum insert; business card stock for layering.

For edging: Fiskars paper edgers. Butterfly sticker (Susan Branch Paper Boutique), rub-on silver stitching (American Crafts trademarks).

All nicely tied up with straw from a basket I received and then dyed them white and pink.

I had taken this card to London yesterday but she insisted I take it back home, put it with the others, and she will look forward to receiving her package of cards at the end of the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to get feedback.

Popular Posts

Hand painted Vase 12" - Click to see more...

Hand painted Vase 12" - Click to see more...
Fine lines and beautiful medley of greens, blues and yellows.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...